Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How peculiar. Do you fancy me a cat, Ariadne?

Woodcut, Thread, Colored Pencil on Paper, 2011.

This is an Artwork I collaborated on with my oldest daughter, Aisling, and donated to the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science Visual Arts Center's 2011 Art's Night Benefit/Exhibition/Juried Exhibition.

This is the statement I sent in about the Artwork:

With equal ease I imagine Baron Von Trapp (Christopher Plummer), Grand Moff Tarkin, or Eddie Izzard as Theseus dryly returning this line, with a smirk and a raised eyebrow, when handed the ball of string or thread that will be his salvation from the Daedalus’ Labyrinth.

The thread in this artwork, combined with the visage of the young woman, allude to this myth.

Creating mythos is filled with confrontations with the absurd, and situations embracing this absurdity often lend themselves to humor. I must point out that I am not stating that every ‘corner in the labyrinth’ of myth contains a joke. The research is undertaken with all seriousness, but attempting to limit opportunities to chuckle as they present themselves is ill-advised. This should be applied to any field of research, really—but we all know that.

There are two separate father/daughter relationships at play here: that of Minos and Ariadne, and that of me and my 4-year-old daughter, Aisling. Aisling helped me finish this artwork by attempting the maze, which she completed in three attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment